Friends? ... Or Not? ...

Proper insulin therapy has turned a slow death into a whole new career for me. Instead of dying in or before 2020, I now expect to live till 2025-2030 allowing me to resume my career in the music business, picking up where I left off 25 years ago.

Moderator: BlueStrat

Mike McCarthy
Site Admin

Friends? ... Or Not? ...

Postby Mike McCarthy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 am

I'm getting radio silence from people I thought were friends. They may in fact be friends who are simply busy with their own lives and don't have time to respond withing a few days to emails I send to them. On the other hand, they may not like the new Mike McCarthy as evinced by the "How To Loot A Railroad Museum Without Going to Prison" series and are distancing themselves from me. If so I can handle it. If it turns out that my real friends at present are folks I went to boarding school and high school with, so be it. I've always been kooky and they've always liked that in me. I can relax around them and not have my guard up since they've seen me do much stranger things than I've been doing recently.

To this core of people we've known intimately for sixty years we will make new friends -- ones who have known only the new me, and only the Evalyn who is gradually turning political activist. Her new friends will come from the conservative wing of the Republican party. You see, at present she is one of two people active in the Tea Party for Jefferson County, Colorado. There are no other Tea Party members for Jeffco at present. She has been attending Tea Party events regarding other parts of the state. By definition she and her Jeffco colleague will be setting policy for the Tea Party movement as it develops in our home county. I disagree with many of her positions but I applaud her getting involved in what is likely to become a very public way. Already she has crossed swords with the Oathkeepers, and she attended a meeting devoted to terrorism that was so outspoken that the organizers felt it necessary to have heavy security. She is unafraid, just as I am.

If I become successful as an artist that will bring in a few new friends. Writing being a solitary activity for me it probably won't result in new friends, but music certainly will, and one of them is likely to be Rockley Music's in house recording engineer Chris Whowever. Chris and I were communicating at a professional level within thirty seconds of having met, and he invited me to use him as a sounding board for my ideas. I look forward to expanding this relationship.

However ...

Evalyn and I have always been independent, our own best friends. If in the end it's down to she and I then that will be okay too. In fact, while I've said for fifty years that I did not want to live in a world that didn't have her in it, I believe that now I could handle that, too. The new Mike McCarthy finally knows who he is and why he was put on the planet. I can accomplish the music mission on my own if necessary. With the possible exception of Rockley's Chris Whoever, nobody is going to understand what I'm up to anyway. I will have nobody to discuss my ideas with, just as I did not at Golden MIDI. I'm okay with this but people would then have to leave me alone so I can create, and suffer, in silence.

I'm reminded of a 1989 song by Mark Griffith, aka MC 900 Foot Jesus. It's title was "Everybody Shut Up And Leave Me Alone, I'm Going Straight To Heaven". Thank you for the inspiration, Mark. I doubt that there's a heaven, only oblivion, but when my time is up I will go with no regrets provided I made good progress on the music front and was able to productize my thinking so that everyday people could make use of it.

Return to “The New Me”