Logistical Complexities

Proper insulin therapy has turned a slow death into a whole new career for me. Instead of dying in or before 2020, I now expect to live till 2025-2030 allowing me to resume my career in the music business, picking up where I left off 25 years ago.

Moderator: BlueStrat

Mike McCarthy
Site Admin

Logistical Complexities

Postby Mike McCarthy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 am

We have exactly two weeks till we head for SOCAL by car. I hope to have the decal-perhaps-with-overpaint technology experiments finished by then but there's no guarantee of this. Still, let's say that two weeks will suffice for these experiments, and that the results are sufficiently favorable to warrant proceeding with test marketing. Development of the art for those market tests could not begin till we're back from SOCAL and have recovered from the trip. This will be on or about fri11sep-15. Yet we're scheduled to depart for the East Coast by car on mon28sep-15 leaving us only 17 days for development of art whose marketing could not possibly begin till were back from Boston and recovered, which should be on or about fri09oct-15.

By that date, fri09oct-15, there is significant risk of winter weather that will render the outside office useless. Therefore when we return from Boston we must free up one of the two basement rooms that are currently filled with bankers boxes of stuff that came from the commercial storage locker we used while living at the Zang Street condo development. To free up this room implies that we have someplace to put the stuff, which we don't unless we rent another storage locker, which we're not going to do. Therefore freeing up the south basement bedroom is going to require that we finally process both basement bedrooms, throwing stuff out and consolidating the rest in the north basement bedroom.

This purge-and-consolidate job must have absolute priority or we will have no place useful in which to produce the art that is to be test marketed. Assuming this process will take two weeks, artwork production for test marketing cannot begin till fri25oct-15. Therefore we might as well assume that test marketing will last through the end of November. If test marketing results in a green light, volume production of artwork would begin sometime after Thanksgiving and would last indefinitely. However ... Notice that I did not allow two weeks for color calibration, nor did I allow two weeks for getting back on top of Photoshop plugin stuff.

Thus in reality volume production of artwork that has a proven market should not begin till after New Year's Day of 2016. Why not? Answer, because we want to bring to bear every technology edge we can muster. We want to lock out as much competition as possible through proprietary technology. That way there will be no me too artists eroding our market share. They will have to compete using old technology.

====================

Am I hopelessly crass? You bet. Dickens wrote his most famous works not because he was motivated by The Muse but because he was motivated by the Pound Sterling. Does it make a difference? Of course not. The novels don't know why they were written, my photographic images don't know why they were taken, and the paintings that result from my almost paint-by-the-numbers approach to rendering those photographs won't know how they were created.

I consider color managment to be very important, yet I can already see a way to produce Warhol-like sets of images that are all variations on an unmodified original image. That the original might be somewhat off color should be immaterial because nobody will know what the originals ought to look like. I will know, but I'm not the buyer. We will be able to do a better job in the future based on my proprietary color management techniques, but for test marketing purposes I believe we can, and therefore should, skirt the issue.

Return to “The New Me”