Oh Well ...

Proper insulin therapy has turned a slow death into a whole new career for me. Instead of dying in or before 2020, I now expect to live till 2025-2030 allowing me to resume my career in the music business, picking up where I left off 25 years ago.

Moderator: BlueStrat

Mike McCarthy
Site Admin

Oh Well ...

Postby Mike McCarthy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Tom Werman hasn't replied to an email of mine written 3.5 days ago in which I asked that we get specific about a place and time to meet. I suspect he never will. Even if he does, if that reply hasn't happened by a week from our departure for Massachusetts -- if that reply hasn't happened by ten days from now -- I will cut him out of the trip. It's taken me months to realize that he has never inquired about Evalyn, our children or our grandchildren, nor has he inquired about my stay in the music business much less my career in general. That's fine -- as kids all we ever had in common was an interest in music. Since he is no longer interested in music, it follows that we no longer have anything in common. I regret the loss of a friendship that could now have blossomed in principle, but since he doesn't want one I will now simply leave him alone and not write to him again.

Why cut Werman off a week before departure? Answer, because we need to reschedule some visits which means we need to give people time to react to our proposed new schedule. We learned on the SOCAL trip that we can no longer drive for 20 hours a day, our practical limit now being 12-14 hours. The loss of 2x[4 to 6 hours] means that we must insert 8 to 12 hours of time into the schedule, effectively costing us the day that we would have spent on the trip to the Clark museum in the northwest corner of the state. Since we do want to see the museum we must reschedule with Dennis. If he agrees to the schedule slip this will bump Tom ... permanently.

====================

Absurd as it seemed to our handyman I asked him to blow out our lawn sprinkler system yesterday to shut it down for the season. I will continue to water our front and back lawns but it will be with hoses and oscillating sprinklers just as I do in the spring before turning the sprinklers back on in mid May. My concern is for an early winter. We will not be back from the Massachusetts trip till wed07oct-15 by which time this year's risk of a hard freeze before mid-October will be high. However, if winter does not arrive early I will be able to continue writing on our patio as I am doing at this moment. The only difference will be that I will have stopped watering entirely on the day before we leave.

I am going to try this year what we did last year -- wait for most of the trees on or near our property to have shed their leaves, rake the margins of the lawns into the main lawn areas, and then chop everything up using our lawnmower, which I always have set high to make proper use of its mulching blade. This will be our third fall/winter/spring cycle on the property and what worked last year should work again this year.

I really enjoy being a grass farmer. The secret to consistently winning the neighborhood informal lawn competition is liquid fertilizer and liberal amounts of water.

Return to “The New Me”